Road trip to natural reserve, motor boat and walk
Day 1.- Arrival at the airport or bus station and transfer to our office for the arrangements and information related to the tour before leaving the city of Puerto Maldonado.
In case you have large luggage, we suggest that you repack and bring what is required in the Amazon rainforest. Then, transfer in a 4X4 vehicle for approximately 2 hours to reach the Tambopata river where our boat and motorboat will be waiting for us to continue along the river for approximately 20 minutes, upstream until we reach our Eco lodge we will have the chance to see birds, capybaras, white caimans on the banks of the river.After arriving at our Lodge we will have a welcome refreshment and a brief description of all our services during your stay with us. You will be taken to your respective room and then you can have a buffet lunch, after a short break we will take a walk in a primary forest full of ancient trees with lots of information about the most important economic activities in Tambopata region such as “agriculture, mining , logging, the activity of collecting chestnuts or Brazil nuts and ecotourism.Also we will have the chance to look for monkeys and some other mammal in their natural habitat. We will return at sunset to catch our flash lights and go to observe alligators, capybaras and perhaps some feline on the banks of the river. After our dinner if you still have energy we can make a short night walk in search of insects, arachnids, tarantulas, snakes or any mammal near the Lodge.
Visit the CHUNCHO Macaw clay lick
Day 2.- On our second day we will have to get up very early and after a delicious coffee, we will continue at 5:00 a.m. up for an hour and thirty minutes, with all the sunrise just for us in our boat, the scenery is spectacular and why not say it ... we have a 20% chance of seeing a jaguar or maybe an anaconda on the banks of our Tambopata river.
Arriving at our destination, we will meet a whole show of parrots and Macaws and we will learn closely the reasons why these birds, and many other mammals need the clay of this wall for their daily diet throughout the year. This show entertains us from 6:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. Our delicious breakfast will be in front of the Collpa Chuncho.Having finished our activity here, we will have a short visit to the checkpoint of the “Malinowski” Reserve to learn more in a small museum that is located in this place. We will continue to our lodge to taste our lunch and after a rest we can do the kayak activity in the Tambopata river up or down or in the creek that is in the port of our Lodge that has the name of “Mississippi” and to be able to give us a refreshing bath that is optional and then get to know some products that are grown in this rich land of Madre de Dios.Already when we start to spend the night we will take our lanterns and make a night walk in search of insects, arachnids, tarantulas and perhaps some snake, armadillo, night monkey or some tapir near the Lodge.
Observatory tower and drop off to airport
Our third day is optional to get up very early to make a short walk in the forest to observe different species of birds, some monkey near our Lodge or we will rest until our breakfast time and then perform the sport fishing activity in the Tambopata river or in the creek where we will use local bait to be more successful in catching some Tambopata fish and then to taste it at our lunch.
After lunch, having already enjoyed our stay in Alto Tambopata, we will pack up and take our boat 20 minutes downstream and then the van for about 2 hours until we reach the city of Puerto Maldonado city to drop you off to your Hotel , the Airport or bus terminal if you prefer.
Questions & Answers
What time does this tour depart from Puerto Maldonado and arrive back in?
Arriving by bus?
- For people arriving by bus we start at 8:30 a.m departing from our office in Puerto Maldonado
Arriving by Plane?
- The first plane arriving to Puerto Maldonado is around 10:00 am and the last plane arrives at 4 p.m , so our first group will start the tour around 11:20
- For peope arriving later than 12:00 pm we will start tour around 1:00 p.m, for LATAM airlines arriving at 4:00 p.m we will start thetour as soon as posible
Already in Puerto Maldonado?
- For people that are already in a hotel the pick up will be around 8:00 a.m and start tour at 8:30 a.m approximately
What to bring for a 3 days jungle tour?
Amazon Rainforest suggested list excursion
- 1 Backpack rain cove
- Mesh laundry bag
- Toiletry bag with hygiene essentials
- one quart largemouth water bottles (we will provide you with water so you can refill it any time)
- Small headlamp with a L.E.D. bulb & extra batteries
- 1 pair or water shoes ( We will provide you with rubber boots at Jungle Lodge)
- Chaco o Teva type sandals
- 2 bottle of DEET bug repellent
- 1 bottle of sun screen (waterproof)
- 3 pairs of socks
- 3 pairs of underwear
- 1 bathing suits
- 1 shorts
- 1 rain jacket or plastic poncho
- 1 long sleeve shirts
- 3 short sleeve shirts
- 1 sweatshirts or sweaters
- wide brim hat
Pocket size English/Spanish dictionary
Guide book for Peru (lonely planet, rough guide, or similar) At least 1 novel to read
- 1 set Gore-Tex (or similar waterproof breathable material) pants and jacket storm gear
- Watch with alarm
- snorkel, fins, mask
- approach or summer hiking boot
- digital camera
Useful things to know before you go
- S/. Sol
- $/. Dollar
There are no vaccines required to enter Peru. If you decide to take medicines. These are suggested indications, so please visit your doctor before you travel.
- For HEPATITIS B
Recommended for Peru. Normally 2 months before travel.
- For RABIES
Recommended for Peru. Normally 1 month before travel.
- For YELLOW FEVER
Recommended for Peru. Normally 10 days before travel.
- Depending on the accommodation in the jungle, electricity hours are limited during the day, most hotels offer several hours in the evening, usually until 10 pm, allowing travelers to charge their personal items.